Clean Diesel – The New Alternative Fuel for School Buses
Today there is much discussion in the school bus industry about alternative fuels. For many, the consideration of “green” fuels includes propane, compressed natural gas (CNG) and gasoline. Diesel is often excluded or discounted in the discussion of clean fuels.
But today’s diesel technology is not the diesel of 20, 15 or even 10 years ago. Cleaner diesel fuel, advanced engines and effective emissions control make up a new generation of diesel. It’s clean diesel. And it should be part of any serious consideration of alternative fuels for school buses.
Going Green – Making an Informed Choice
When it comes to the question of whether to make the switch to green fuel, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for every school district. It’s always good to have options. But it’s also important to make an informed choice based on a comparison of all the available data, including emissions, fuel economy, power and performance, durability, safety and total cost of ownership.
Carolina Thomas can offer other fuel options – including propane and CNG – when it’s the right option for a particular customer. Based on the data, we believe that North Carolina’s choice of clean diesel for large (Type C & D) school buses is the right option – for today and the future. At the same time, we also believe it is our responsibility to help you make an informed choice based on your fleet’s particular needs.
Over the next few posts, we will be sharing information with you about clean diesel in large (Type C & D) school buses, including:
- Data comparing clean diesel with other alternative fuels
- Supporting data to reinforce your choice to stay with clean diesel
- Technology improvements coming soon to make diesel maintenance easier and less expensive
Our Commitment to the Environment
Carolina Thomas and Thomas Built Buses are committed to environmental responsibility. Thomas was the first school bus manufacturer to achieve Zero-Waste-to-Landfill operations, an effort that demonstrates the company’s commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility.
Our Commitment to You
A different fuel other than clean diesel may or may not be right for your district. Thomas can offer other fuel options – including propane and CNG – when it’s the right option for your fleet. The decision of which fuel is right for your district depends on your fleet’s particular needs, and should take into account all the available data and associated costs.
Our promise is to help you compare all the available information about alternative fuel options so that you can make an informed choice. Our goal is that you review all the information we share with you and call us when you have questions. And our commitment is to help you make the right fuel choice for your fleet’s needs.
Questions We Will Examine in Future Posts
- Do all school bus engines have to meet the same emission standards and what does this mean for different fuel platforms?
- Why should clean diesel be included in discussions about alternative fuel choice?
- What is the current status of clean diesel technology?
- How does clean diesel compare with other fuel options?
- What new clean diesel technology is coming in the near future to help reduce operating costs?
Want more information?
Call us at (800) 440-3492 and talk with your regional sales manager to learn more about clean diesel.
- Eastern North Carolina – Phil Loflin, Ext. 370
- Western North Carolina – Roy Parks, Ext. 378